Wills and Trusts Law Firm South Salem, NY
At our wills and trusts law firm in South Salem, NY, Sweeney Legal, we know that some clients are going to be new at estate planning. If this is you, we understand that the process probably seems quite daunting. The components of your estate planning documents are going to represent what is most important to you, your legacy, and what you have built over the course of your lifetime.
Because of how impactful writing an estate plan can be, many people shy away from the task until they absolutely have to. Along with having to make big decisions, you will have to become familiar with strategies and tools that are unfamiliar. However, thankfully you have our team to rely on for questions, concerns, and guidance.
Here is a quick beginner’s guide to estate planning. For more information and personalized insight, call us at Sweeney Legal today!
What is Estate Planning?
When most people consider writing an estate plan, they may already know that they will have to create something called a will or trust which includes their wishes on what happens after death. These certainly are key aspects of estate planning, but there is more that may need to be done. For example, after a consultation we may suggest other elements of estate planning, such as a:
- Designating beneficiaries
- Revocable living trust
- Durable power of attorney
- Digital asset trust
- Power of attorney
- Letter of intent
- Advanced directive
- And more
As someone who is fresh to all things estate planning, you don’t have to worry about not knowing very much. The lawyers at our South Salem, NY wills and trusts law firm can handle the legal side of things so that you are guided every step of the way. Another benefit to hiring a lawyer to work with you for this task is that we will have your best interest in mind at all times. Unlike other parties, we will have no bias or influence in how you create your estate planning documents. Our only concern will be ensuring that your estate plan is legally binding and encompasses the full extent of your wishes.
Why is Estate Planning Important?
Despite what people may think, anyone and everyone can benefit from having an estate plan. It doesn’t matter how much or how little you have. The purpose of an estate plan ultimately is to protect your assets from being handled by the government after your passing. By writing an estate plan, loved ones will receive the money or treasures you want them to have sooner. If someone passes away without having an estate plan, then the court will disperse any property and money based on state intestacy laws. Without an estate plan, there is no guarantee that your legacy will be passed on in the way you would have wished.
If you need assistance regarding your estate plan, it doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or seasoned, as we are here to help. Call us at Sweeney Legal, your local wills and trusts law firm in South Salem, New York, for support right away!
Benefits of Hiring an Estate Planning Lawyer
If you want to create an estate plan, you should consult a lawyer from a will and trusts law firm in South Salem, NY right away. An estate plan includes complex documents, like wills and trusts, so you should have someone knowledgeable and experienced on your side.
- Make sure your plan follows current laws. Estate planning laws are complex and constantly changing. If your estate planning documents are not drafted in accordance to current law, they will be considered invalid. That is why it is important to have a skilled lawyer on your side. He or she will be well-versed on all the current laws and make sure your documents follow them.
- You may need more than just a will. Some people assume that they just need a will. Although a will is an important estate planning document, it might not be the only document you need. For example, some people may benefit from establishing a trust. An experienced lawyer can assess your unique situation and recommend the appropriate estate planning documents.
- You will save time and stress. Estate planning documents include a lot of complex languages that the average person might not fully understand. As such, you may spend a great deal of time trying to create the plan yourself. If you have a full-time job and a family to take care of, that can be a problem. If you hire a skilled lawyer from a will and trusts law firm in South Salem, NY, you can save time and stress. He or she will take care of everything for you.
- You will have to update your plan throughout your life. An estate plan is not a one-and-done deal. You will likely have to update it several times in your lifetime. When you experience a major life change, like a divorce or birth of a call, you can contact your estate planning lawyer to make the changes.
- A lawyer will be objective. Estate planning can make you feel a wide range of emotions, which may cloud your judgment. You do not want this to happen. That is another good reason to have a skilled estate planning lawyer on your side. He or she will remain impartial and let you know if you are not making the best decisions in your plan.