Business Lawyer in South Salem, NY
If you started a business, you may want to consult a business lawyer in South Salem, NY. A lawyer can help you with numerous legal matters, from drafting contracts to protecting you from lawsuits, and address all your questions and concerns.
Common Myths About Business Law
No matter what kind of business you run, it’s important to have a skilled business lawyer on your side. However, you might have heard some untruths about these lawyers that are making you reluctant to hire one. Here are some common myths about business law that you shouldn’t believe:
- It’s only necessary to hire a business lawyer when your company has legal issues. Far too many business owners wait until they’re facing a lawsuit to hire a business lawyer. This is a big mistake. If you hire a lawyer after you’re faced with a legal dispute, it may be too late to mitigate the damages. To save yourself money and stress, you should retain a lawyer early on. Then, he or she will have a chance to warn you about certain legal situations that may arise.
- A business lawyer is too expensive. At first, hiring a business lawyer might seem very expensive, especially if you are just starting a business. You’re trying to cut costs any way you can and wonder if it is worth it to retain a lawyer. However, not all business lawyers charge astronomical fees and not all of them charge by the hour. You can find a lawyer who charges flat fees for routine tasks. When you consider how much legal issues can cost your business, hiring a business lawyer in South Salem, NY doesn’t sound so expensive anymore.
- If your business didn’t do anything wrong, you can’t be sued. Unfortunately, this isn’t true. People can try to sue your business for a variety of reasons and some of the reasons may be frivolous. That’s why it’s important to have a business lawyer on your side at all times.
- You don’t need to consult a business lawyer for simple contracts. Even if you think you’re about to enter into a fairly simple contract, it is still a good idea to have a business lawyer look it over. He or she will make sure that the contract reflects your company’s best interests and is legally binding.
Good Reasons to Hire a Business Lawyer
From payroll to rent, there are many expenses that go into running a business. That is why business owners may try to cut costs any way they can. However, hiring a business lawyer is one expense you shouldn’t skimp on. Here are a few good reasons to work with a business lawyer in South Salem, NY.
- Determine the best business structure. There are several ways you can structure your business. However, if this is your first time owning a business, you might know the appropriate business structure. If you structure your business improperly in the beginning, you may have to deal with legal problems down the road. That is one good reason to have a skilled business lawyer on your side. He or she will help you understand tax obligations and liabilities associated with each business structure.
- Draft contracts. No matter what type of business you own, you are bound to enter into multiple contacts throughout the years. Whether the contract is with an employee or client, you should have a business lawyer review it before you sign anything. These documents contain complicated legal terminology that you might not fully understand. Your lawyer will make sure that everything in these documents is correct and reflects your company’s best interests.
- Review lease real estate agreements. If you plan on running your business in an office building or another type of commercial space, you will need to sign real estate agreements. Like contracts, these agreements contain complex legal jargon. As such, you’ll want to have a business lawyer look over real estate agreements to ensure they’re fair.
- Reduce your risk of lawsuits. Unfortunately, every business lawyer has a risk of being sued. Defending a lawsuit can cost your business thousands of dollars in legal fees. That’s another reason to hire a skilled business lawyer from the very beginning. He or she will provide you with sound legal advice and reduce your risk of lawsuits.
Questions to Ask a Business Lawyer
Before you hire a business lawyer, there are several questions you should ask, including:
- What types of business do you typically work with?
- What do you charge?
- What is your area of specialty?
- Do you have experience with employee matters?
- What experience do you have with tax matters?
- How long have you been practicing law?
Schedule a consultation with a business lawyer in South Salem, NY from Sweeney Legal, LLC, today.