Blog for John Sweeney - Elder, Wills, Estates, Trusts, Special Needs, Business, & Tax Lawyer in CT and NY

Children and Wills-Guardians, Trustees, Trusts, and When to Give Them the Money

Posted by John Sweeney | Sep 08, 2017 | 0 Comments

The four big questions for parents of children when estate planning are, who should be the Guardian? Who should be the Trustee? How should we give our money to our kids?  At what age should I give the money to my kids. 

Fortunately, we lawyers have worked out the answers that usually work best.  

The Guardian is someone you trust to parent your children.  Often a brother or sister who has kids.  The Trustee is someone you trust to handle money and make decisions.  We use a Trust to hold the money until the kids are old enough.  We recommend giving the money to the kids between 20 and 35.  

About the Author

John Sweeney

John is an experienced lawyer who helps you solve your problems. He practices Elder, Wills, Estates, Trusts, Special Needs, Business, & Tax Law in Fairfield County CT and Westchester County New York. He brings a wealth of experience in law, business, tax, insurance, and finance to arrive at practical solutions with compassion and care. Honest, direct and practical, he is focused on you and your problems. He also brings a wealth of personal experience from his own large family and aging parents.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Elder, Wills, Estates, Trusts, Special Needs Tax & Business Law; Attorney John Sweeney

Sweeney Legal, LLC, provides legal, practical, and business counsel to Seniors, families, and businesses in the Fairfield, Connecticut area, including the communities of Bridgeport, Bethel, Brookfield, Danbury, Darien, Easton, Fairfield, New Canaan, Newtown, Norwalk, Redding, Ridgefield, Stamford, Weston, Westport and Wilton. John is also licensed in New York serving Westchester County including the towns of Bedford, Lewisboro, Mount Kisco, North Salem, Pound Ridge, and Somers.